Friday, December 12, 2008

No time to be selfish about things

Ok so tonight getting on the computer to do a few simple things was
stressful.

I get it turned on and booted up. I get this little box popping up
saying that the system has just recovered from a serious error. And then
it goes on to report the error to Microsoft. Then I get IE loading up a
web page to explain what might be the problem. A device driver was
installed or changed, or some piece of software recently installed might
be causing the problem. Links to possibly roll back the Dell drivers and
Windows Update were on this page.

Hmm.. But first as suggested, I tried a system restore, and the little
box about this error popped up again... Soooo... I went to Windows
Update. Needed to install the new version of Windows update aka the
install validation tool. Fine, OK. great. It does that, then shows there
are 6 high priority updates. SP3 security update, 3 other security
updates, one for IE7, and Malicious Software Removal tool for Dec 2008.
About 20 or so minutes pass by while this all gets downloaded and
installed, and the system restarts. Only just before the screen winks
out there's some notice (probably an error) and I don't get to see that
before it disappears. But hey, the system comes back up, I wait for the
7 Icons to load, and there's no notice that the system recovered from a
serious error anymore.

I was hoping Windows Update would have just located the errant driver
and fixed it, but maybe it was Windows Update that needed fixed?

I just realized that if there were these 6 updates waiting, what
happened and why didn't they install anyway? Is this the modus operandi
of XP? If there's an error, update the OS?

I have no idea. I'm trying to study for CompTIA exams. I just wanted to
type a letter. I tell mom that while it may be her computer, she's not
to install anything that would cause system instability, and remind her
that if for some reason I'm unable to complete this, I gotta pay the
money back for these classes, all the while mom just keeps telling me to
shut up. It's like she doesn't care. She'll just stick her nose in the
air and not listen. I don't need that kind of treatment, especially not
from a parent. Wouldn't she want to see me get these certifications?
Gee, consider the other people who depend on the only XP desktop we own.

Anywho, I got my letter typed and printed, and did the first class'
assignment and it's on a thumbdrive.

And no notification pop up when I shut down the desktop tonight.

At least until tomorrow.

No comments: