Saturday, July 19, 2008

Some pressing issues

First off, we find that the Evil Cable Company, aka Time Warner, is
conducting what I call "business as usual" in that once you get suckered
into using their services, they start raising rates without
justification.

Our Road Runner Light service, 768kbps, was initially $14.95 a month. I
pay this for Cannet Dialup. As of August 1, 2008, Time Warner decides to
jack up the cost another $5. Let me try to understand this. They cut off
Usenet access through their network, they are not upgrading the service
to a faster speed, but yet they claim they need to bleed us for another
$5 more each month for less service at the same speed? The electricity
they use to power their equipment didn't go up in cost. I demand they
justify the increase. I'm going to contact the state attorney general,
our state rep, and the FCC about this.

In comparison, Cannet, the dialup service we've had since late _1997_
has always been $14.95 a month. That's 11 years of service that's never
gone up in price. If Cannet can keep the price the same and other DSL
providers can provide lifetime price guarantees, why can't Time Warner?
We were not told the $14.95 RR Lite was only an introductory price, nor
were we advised the rate "could" go up. No documentation stated anything
of the sort. If they insist on business as usual (which is the reason I
refuse to get cable TV again) then I demand they explain themselves
fully.


I recently bought the Coby MP300 1 Gig USB flash drive MP3 player. It
was $20 at a local Big Lots.

This is a nicely built unit. The case feels strong and sturdy. It's made
mainly to play MP3s or WMAs on its internal flash drive.

Some gripes: There's no Windows98 driver CDrom. A search on Coby USA's
website turns up nothing for my unit. I can only hope a friend with
another Coby model has the CDrom and the driver will work with my 1G
unit.

The interface to Windows XP over the USB connection has a minor bug. It
connects in MSC mode, but it should be MTP mode, I think. Anywho, the
first time after the initial plug-in and copying of files onto the unit
resulted in My Computer displaying only 8 files. I have way more than
that already on there by now! After a few tries plugging the thing in
and disconnecting (and My Computer freezing up) I eventually just went
ahead a copied a new file to the unit. Immediately the file list in the
window for the unit expanded and all my files appeared! I mean, What the
heck!? But trying to immediately copy a 2nd new file resulted in Windows
saying the directory was corrupted and unreadable. Oh great. Unplug,
replug, copy a 2nd file, but not a 3rd. Eventually, through some
plugging and unplugging I got 4 more files on there. But at some point I
got the unit to respond properly and was able to just copy a bunch of
MP3s at once.

Subsequent attaching the unit to the USB port also made
shorter-than-I-know-should-be-on-there directory lists until I copied a
new file onto the drive.

None of my other units, including USB flash drives, do this at all.

I apologize for not putting up the Colosalcon 2008 report just yet, but
I should get to it soon. It's up on Genvid. ^_^

No comments: