OK. So you guys there probably remember the 512MB MP3 player that
someone sent to you smashed up because it died when it should not have.
Then you replaced that (kindly) with an MPS533 model, but that got sent
back to you rather quickly because it kept shutting off and then
eventually refused to turn back on.
I sent that one back to you only to get yet another MPS533 model. That
was about one year ago.
Since then, I have kept ahold of that 2nd MPS533 model and sparingly
used it. Last night, while copying a few more MP3 files to it, nearly
filling the memory (46 MB free), then going to bed and listening to the
new files on it, it suddenly shut off for no reason. I had a fresh
alkaline battery in the unit.
While fiddling with this MPS533 in the middle of the night, I observed
it not wanting to stay on for any useful length of time. Several
attempts at making sure the battery was making proper contact resulted
in the unit not interested in staying on. Removing the battery and then
reinstalling it got the unit to switch on again each time, but it would
not remain on. The previous MPS533 had this problem before it refused to
turn on as well as not turn on when plugged into the USB port.
Fortunately I have a backup of all files I have placed onto the unit on
a burned CDrom.
I am not sending this 2nd replacement MPS533 back to you at Curtis
International because I am fed up with this model of MP3 player and will
replace it with another model from another manufacturer. I have a Coby
1G model that has a buggy USB interface, but it seems like it will hold
up, though I should buy another 1G MP3 player model with a better
inferface and a Win98 USB driver CDrom.
This model is also out of warranty period since I let it sit around
unused for most of the past year considering my previous experience with
the last MPS533. I did one experiment in using it to record and let it
sit for over 4 hours one day and it was still on when I came back, so I
thought that was a good sign. Until last night.
I think using the Hold feature on the unit might have something to do
with this, but who knows? I hadn't used the Hold switch before and for
some reason I decided it might be a good idea to use it for once, in
case it got switched on by accident - providing that even though I had
it inside a case for a VHS-C tape, it had little chance of happening.
If there is a firmware update for the MPS533, I may seek it out,
providing I can get this unit to stay on long enough while plugged into
the USB interface (which I haven't tried yet, but will considering its
current semi-functional state), which in that case I would just copy
everything off, reformat, and try the update. I mean, what's the bother
if the damn unit won't stay turned on?
My MPS257 (256MB model) still works great.
Best regards,
No comments:
Post a Comment