Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Microwave burned out, George Carlin, Doug Henning?

Well, it happened.

Our Emerson microwave made August 1988, died today in a blaze of glory.
Not really, but still it died. Using Hitachi parts, it worked
beautifully. 1.4 cubic feet at 1450 watts (microwave frequency was 2450
Mhz). Lasted nearly 20 years. They don't make them like that anymore. It
was serviced once - for a blown fuse. When that blew again, I bought a
more substantial one and never blew it again. The only other thing that
we had trouble with was the servo motor that turned the glass table
inside. That stopped working a few months ago.

I still can't believe George Carlin passed away. Last I heard, he knew
he had heart problems a few years ago but had been working on that. Not
only was he a genius messenger for comedy and made complete sense, he
was a masterful and most eloquent pundit. He reminded us of the asburd
thing(s) that went on around us and made sure we stuck a finger in its
eye.

By the way, all of Carlin's HBO Specials are available on DVD (something
I hope to acquire), but why is the only thing I can find of Doug Henning
on DVD is his Broadway show? He did 8 TV specials and none of them are
on DVD?? I have a tape of one he did in the early 1980s. Where can I get
tapes of his other shows?? It's not right we can't see all of Henning's
shows again.

Two people who helped make me what I am today are no longer here, and I
will be one who will not forget what they did.

No comments: