Monday, November 29, 2004

My other archive Cdrom... ^.^


Well, here's an example of why you should plan to go through a
collection of floppies at least twice. I found stuff for my other CDrom
and at the same time found floppies I was looking for as well as other
floppies I hadn't even checked! Pics for my anime archive CDrom that I
knew I had, but hadn't gotten to all of my floppies to find.

What's odd is that my other archive disc has a "machines" directory
which for some screwed up reason my Apex player does not show in the
directory screens... I know it's there...

Here's an interesting statistic. It took me over a year to compile the
500Mb of data for my anime archive, but just under 24 hours to compile
the 200Mb for my other archive. I went through my floppies rather
quickly. I guess much of that didn't really amount to much until after
1997, and even then it was a while before I discovered that when
browsing newsgroups on WebTV, you can forward a message to another email
address, which if that message has a picture on it, it also gets
forwarded (MIME, Binhex, or UUE). So I also had fewer discs to go
through, because up until we got WebTV, I had been collecting UUEncoded
pics from Fido:Anime, as well as nice people along the way who helped me
with their Internet access to fill floppies I asked them to fill and
send back. So I pretty much could figure out which floppies didn't have
anything on them for my other archive.

I'm glad I did this 2nd one when I did. Due to how scheduling goes where
I work because of the one lady who does some of the most f^cked up
scheduling, I have no idea when I'll get another 2 days in a row off. I
rather like getting 2 sequential days in a row off, as it gives me
plenty of time to do stuff I can't do in one.

And here after the experience of doing long marathon sessions with the
floppies for my anime archive, I said I wasn't going to do that again.
Well, I had some of that time during daylight hours and like I said, I
had fewer discs to go through. And I think I understand how my mom's
Dell with WinXP does it's little thing with floppies and showing
thumbnails of the pics in My Computer. Write-Enable your floppies. It
goes much faster. I don't know why.

Anywho, I did 2 versions of my other archive so far. I need to diagnose
or copy off files on floppies that the Dell had problems with, as well
as debug the files on the CDrom (fixing those that the Apex locks up
on). I'll also have to rename the "machines" directory for V.3 and maybe
add more stuff. oy vay.

No comments: