Tuesday, September 08, 2026

Creamy 1 pan Chicken and Potatoes the cheaper way

Last night out of anger basically I whipped up a recipe I found somewhere last week or so only because it seemed interesting. Creamy 1 pan Chicken & Potatoes is the name. I made some changes.

Instead of cayenne pepper I used Chili Powder. I didn't have 6 boneless chicken thighs so I used a frozen 1 pound pack of boneless Chicken Tenders which has been in my freezer since April. I had wanted to wait until I visited Walmart in person because that's really the only way you should buy fresh pack meat but I was under considerable stress to get something made.

Instead of an expensive Shallot (and at Walmart you can't buy just 1) I substituted with a cheap pack of Scallions. Which meant the part of the recipe where you put the shallot in the pan to cook & soften wasn't going to take 3 minutes. Scallions aren't as robust.

Instead of Mini Gold Potatoes, I bought a 5 pound of regular gold potatoes and used my box chopper to slice the smallest 1.5 pounds of them, which turned out just fine.

Instead of Heavy Cream, I chose a pint of Half & Half, and instead of shallot & chive flavor Gournay cheese, I used regular cream cheese. I guess I used up the thing of chives I had in a spice bottle... And if I was to do this again, I would have gotten some Onion or Chives flavor regular Philadelphia cream cheese. I think that stuff comes whipped in a bowl container? As long as I have 6 ounces.

The recipe calls for using the dry spices to coat the chicken, then coating that with flour for cooking in oil. Keep ahold of that flour when using Half & Half, because later when cooking the potatoes and after you added the cream cheese and the vegetable oil is still in the pan, you'll have some loose ambient oil floating on top. I sprinkled flour from earlier around the pan and it absorbed it up as well as made the creamy stuff thicker. Just watch for it trying to stick on the bottom & stir.

This is yet another dish which tastes best when it has cooled down. In general, this was low sodium when omitting the salt - only the chicken broth has any real amount so I saw no need to add more. Just be aware the potatoes can end up being done earlier than the recipe says they will.


No comments: