Friday, January 31, 2025

Productive "Computer Shtuff"

I finally sat down with Altirra, the Atari 8-bit Emulator for Windows & managed to manipulate files & disk images & now have it as a booting system loading up the sequencer software I used years ago on my Atari 8-bit for songs from Pocahontas. 

With the help of SpartaDOS, I finally got a directory listing of all the songs I put on that jukebox disk so you can see what songs I did with it. They all have lyrics synchronized to the music & NOW I CAN FINALLY DO STEREO MIXES! A stereo mix of Colors of the Wind is already in the works (mostly just separating a sound channel or 2 into left & right) because now I can choose which POKEY sound channels to play. So when I finally plop those tracks in Audacity, I can figure it out. I'll be checking more floppies because I want to see how much of my efforts from 30 years ago I can recover. 

HOWEVER, I got Antic Music Processor set up for a special project I wanted to do - though I'll need to refresh my memory on how to use the software! I nearly completely forgot! It has been 22 years since I last did this (Mom losing the house to a 2nd mortgage foreclosure in 2003 really put a cramp on things & I never managed to get it set up again...) so I have some information to find. But I have the sheet music I need already!

Finally getting to do "Computer Stuff" today was productive. I found out my A8 Pi Pico cartridge survived my best efforts to kill it when I soldered it together weeks ago & thanks to videos I found was able to set it up & looks like the onboard flash memory is working.  While it has 16 megabytes for that & the entire Atari 8-bit library could easily fit on there several times over, its main use is as a cartridge emulator. So even any size single load binary file game would run with it. Disk images not so much.

So anywho, I hope I have more data recovered in the coming weeks. I need to read up on configuring SpartaDOS X 4.50.

No comments: