Friday, December 04, 2020

Yearly visit to my doctor?

Last week I ran out of refill counts and when that happens, I have to call my primary doctor for refills. Only this time, I had to go in to their office first. I was expecting to be able to talk to her about my issues - falling drowsy and then asleep around noon even in spite of a rousing wake up and breakfast, not having the 4 things I need for my care - scale, shower seat, hand sprayer, and rollerator. I don't know why I don't have these things when all my mother had to do was ask for them.

Instead, I was NPO since midnight before the day of my appointment because they were wanting a blood draw. I was less than enthused.

I spent my week getting ready. I get a phone call from my pharmacy saying I have refills to pick up - apparently the doctor people called them in already. I tell them I will be there on the 3rd because I have other things also to do on that day. I planned to leave my broom closet around 10:30 a.m....

Only thing is 2 days before my appointment, I get a building notice they are doing Covid cleaning from 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. and would people either stay in their units during that time and spend as little time as possible in the halls.

8:30 a.m. ... Goddamnit to f•vk. So along my preparation to have a little post blood draw picnic, I basically have to wake up and immediately get my underwear, pants, and shoes on before my feet can swell up after being wrapped the night before. And then be out of the building before 8:30 a.m. leaving me to have to wait in parking lots before going to the doctor and bring supremely early.

One detail I left out out until now is I usually take 2 acetaminophen tablets for pain because it hurts getting around. I have to do all this getting out, go to my credit union, go to the doctor, then the pharmacy store, with absolutely no pain relief. Somehow, I managed to do this.

I get out, check my mail, get to my vehicle and get in, get to my credit union, get back in, and get to the pharmacy store parking lot where I wait. I pop on the radio, listen to lunatics on talk radio, look through my mail and other bits I need to write stuff on. I considered going in but realized this was to be a busy day, so I waited to advance to my doctor.

Get to my doctor and no weigh in. I don't get to speak to my doctor, it's straight to the blood draw person. Not enthused. Get the spike in my arm (still hurts a day later) and now I'm being asked to pee in a hat. This hat you don't wear - I'm being told to perform a little urine sample. This is a surprise, because I went back in the broom closet before I left and I was pretty sure I didn't have any more. But I was betrayed and enough came out in the hat to get my nuts warm and moist whereupon I pinched it off to remove the device from the toilet so I could finish... And then I was done. Didn't get to speak to my doctor.

Back in my vehicle, I have my little picnic. Sandwich, water with flavor packet, cold rice with PreCure curry. And 2 acetaminophen. Only thing is, this triggered something else the body does. I started farting. That means I need to visit a toilet soon.

For supper the night before, it was also rice with a little PreCure curry packet. And a raw egg mixed in the hot rice. Only it must not have been hot enough, because my farts were signalling I needed to hit a toilet damn soon and there would be no pain relief or waiting for a powered shopping scooter, this poop baby was going to deliver itself in my pants if I didn't hurry up.

Get to the pharmacy, park, get out, and grabbed a cart without accident. Walk in as quickly as I could, making a beeline to the men's restroom and thankfully nobody on the toilet. Barely had moments to get my ass uncovered before this runny shitstorm was forcing its way out into the toilet.

Then I realized I need to bring my magic butt wiping wand with me at all times because this was going to need wiped off. I also found out the short small end of my cane can be quickly adapted for this purpose with enough toilet tissue wrapped around one end.

Somehow I managed this whole episode of a day where I dropped off the one container I still had for a refill and went back to grab a charged shopping cart (the slow green one) and conduct my business.

Only to find out my doctor called in 3 refills of pills. I hope more get called in after next week's appointment.


No comments: