Sunday, December 13, 2020

I found my game online!

Years ago I had toiled away writing a conversion of Spectrum Holobyte's Soko-ban ("Warehouse Guard") game on the IBM PC for my Atari 8-bit. I had dumped all the levels in hex on printer paper at college, so all I needed to do was figure out the game.

I used a powerful font editor called Envision, published by Antic Magazine. It made creating an animated font very easy. I designed a smoothly animated font for Push It! which I called my game as well as signed my name into the font.

At one point it bogged down even in compiled TurboBASIC, so I pulled out MAC-65 and began putting together a machine language subroutine to check the screen. It was the most important piece of my game and the program self modified it by inserting the screen address and my string table of screen addresses which needed checked as well as how many. It returned a number equal to the boxes put on solution squares. You completed a level by pushing the boxes onto the solution squares.

And I wrote it, finished it, played some levels, and basically had it on a disk and thought not much of it until I uploaded a Diskcomm file of it onto an Atari user group BBS in Arizona. And then I forgot about it.

Some time later, I was contacted by that user group how they went nuts over it and how 6 levels were "unsolvable." So I went back to those the printouts and reentered them and a few I had made mistakes. But I made sure to play those 6 levels and surprise - I solved them! I sent them a new disk but the user group still insisted they were unsolvable... 

I thought as a lark to search for my game online, and I was surprised to see someone uploaded it!

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-push-it_4178.html



No comments: