Recently, I had the rare chance to buy something at Aldi's marked down to sell because it was a 'fresh' food item and the sell by date arrived a bit early and there was still more to go.
In this case, it was a selection of "Grain Salads." Normally $3.39, with $3 off stickers, which makes them 50 cents each. Bad math, right? I thought so, too. The cashier was completely unhelpful in my problem of being overcharged 88 cents.
At any rate, here are my assessments of the 4 different salads they had.
The Mango Edamame Quinoa was the worst of the bunch. The JalapeƱo peppers ruined the flavor and was too much sting for this. I would try this with some grated Parmesean to offset it. Otherwise, just make it without the JalapeƱos.
One called Tabouli could have been better. It was just too cool and refreshing. It could have used no Mint, less lemon (it already had cucumber and tomato in there), but add prepared mustard.
The Curry Ginger Couscous was too dry and too sweet. Remove the raisins. Add more cumin but not enough to burn the mouth. Less lemon. I would add mustard to this one to counteract the unnecessary sweetness.
The best one to my surprise (and I wish I had bought more of it) was the Southwest Lentil salad. All it needed was bacon bits and it was perfect!
Aldi's needs to address their Mustard Potato Salad. Whoever makes it needs to stop putting sugar in it, add red onions, and add hard boiled egg bits. That's how I make MY potato salad! It doesn't need any sugar!! Maybe celery seeds.
No comments:
Post a Comment