Tuesday, July 18, 2017

It'd be a shame to let it go to waste

Going through my dry goods / baking pantry / shelves, I found I had some old lasagne noodles that had been there a while. Something like 8 years. They still cooked up and were safely edible after a round of crockpot lasagna. I also had a considerable bag of rice I forgot I hadn't yet used. 

The interesting bit was an opened bag in a box of cake flour. I don't remember why we had it or what it got used in. The sad part was it hadn't been immediately sealed up and had been invaded by tiny bugs that had subsequently died in it. Well, it was a nearly unused bag of cake flour still in the box with one hole in a corner. Seemed like a shame to toss it without the rest of the product not having shown it was still good.

So I sifted it into a bowl. Carefully. Turns out little bugs stand out against white cake flour. If one fell through my sifter, I picked it out. I feel I got 98% of the offending bugs out of the flour, which meant when I use it next time, I'll have to sift again to catch anything else I didn't already catch.

Which I did on Sunday when I make pancakes from scratch. And used blueberries that had been in the freezer for... about 8 years. Surprisingly, they weren't dried out or freezer burnt. They thawed out just fine and associated juice turned the pancakes blue. Nice.

I've got more stuff in that area I need to go through. Since it's all dry (the spoilable items have since been tossed or used as appropriate), I hope to figure out what to do with it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm amazed the blueberries could last that long without decaying! - Ryan