Saturday, October 27, 2012

How freaking long is it supposed to take???

This is going to be an insane rant posting.

BACK IN JUNE, I got into some online dealing with a girl in Rhode Island selling something. We came to an agreement on price. The first deal came to $80. What I was buying isn't important here. 

June 25, 2012 I bought a United States Postal Money Order for that amount and sent it off. In the envelope was a letter with details of what I was buying from her and as a bonus I included a sheet of laser etched stickers that I had no desire to keep anymore. I printed stuff on the envelope (mainly addresses) and a little square image of a character, somewhat in keeping with what I was buying from her.

2 weeks go by and she's not received the envelope. I mailed it directly from inside my local post office. It's really odd how the envelope managed to be lost by the postal people when it was mailed from inside their facilities. During that time, though, we came to an agreement on a 2nd purchase. Because of the 1st envelope's failure to arrive, I get irritated and buy a 2nd USPS money order and sent it Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation. That arrived in 2 DAYS.

Now, let's fill in a few details. A USPS Money Order for Domestic Use is not refunded or reissused for a minimum of 60 days after purchase. I knew that and was willing to go along with that. Thank goodness I saved the purchaser's stub for this document, like I do for every money order. While I got that 2nd money order at a different post office, the clerk gave me a Money Order Trace form to help me in the process to get an idea where the 1st one is.

IN JULY, I go in to the local post office with my filled out form. Oddly, the clerk who looked at my form remarked they hadn't seen it before. I replied that I hadn't had a USPS Money Order lost before. (To the credit of the USPS, this was my 2nd ever lost envelope that I sent. I had a Free 12-pack Coke coupon not arrive for some reason a while back.) So she does a free status check by calling some phone number and entering the money order serial number. I get told there's no status on it which is good. It's not been cashed.

So I wait another month.

AUGUST 25, I go in to finally file the trace and pay the fee. I have no idea what's supposed to happen after this. 

SEPTEMBER, I finally get to thinking "Where the hell's my resolution letter or whatnot for that money order?" So I get on the USPS website, type in the money order serial number, and I get the message "Refunded." OH WELL THAT'S NICE. Thing is, I didn't have any idea this happened. I HAVE NO LETTER TELLING ME THIS. I HAVE NO REFUND. THE MONEY IS STILL NOT IN MY HANDS.

So earlier in OCTOBER, I go in to find out what's going to happen next. It must have been old info on a webpage, but I'm supposed to get some sort of Resolution Letter that tells me what happened to that lost money order. I don't even have that. So I go in to ask what's up. I want my re-issued money order. The info I found says if you don't have anything, go in to find out what's up. The website says it's been refunded, where's my refund?

I GET TOLD: They don't re-issue them at the post office. They assured me I would get something in the mail, likely a money order made out in my name.

IT'S BEEN 4 FUCKING MONTHS, AND I STILL DO NOT HAVE MY $80 BACK.

HOW LONG IS THIS SUPPOSED TO TAKE? WHERE IS MY GODDAMNED MONEY, USPS? WHO DO I HAVE TO CONTACT?

I did find the address for the USPS Consumer Advocate, and I may send off a letter about this ridiculous crap and hope to get some resolution. I feel like Michael Banks from Mary Poppins in wanting his tuppence back.


No comments: