Friday, September 21, 2012

aggravations

So this is the first post now that Google forced the new user interface design on everyone. I don't see the need to change anything because I could already get things done. I don't understand how this makes it better. It's much like a cat food product changing the design on the bag, which the cats eating the food won't give 2 shits about. It doesn't need to be changed.

ANYWAY...

While working on the Black Lady resin kit, she has these earrings pieces that were formed on a piece or square of resin. I do not have the skills to release parts like that off the resin as they were cast. I tried to slice one earring off only to have the blade slip and cut it into 2 pieces which were quickly lost. So with the other earring, I finally have a plan, once I found it again. I had been cleaning up trying to find it, and here it was safe all this time.

The plan of action - using sticky tape, I form walls around the edge of the resin piece the remaining earring is on. I light a candle and get some wax melted in liquid form, and once I get enough, fill up the form over the resin piece - thereby creating a wax mold!

Now, I've already tried using filler putty to fill in one mold (I can create as many as I have to), but it did the odd thing of not wanting to actually fill it in as I've already experienced. Apparently it's more for contours and not filling. So I tried some Elmer's glue and it almost worked. What I need is resin.

I'm not sure what supplies exist around here for making a resin casting such as the kind I'm trying, so I resorted to using the resin in Fix a Windshield. The only limitation is that it needs to cure in direct sunlight... But at least I'll have something!!

 ALSO: When I chose the printer and computer I wanted for my business, I forgot that I did not choose a monitor. I could use something that can do at least 1024x768, but if anyone has a spare 18.5" LCD monitor, let me know.

No comments: