Thursday, December 01, 2011

Tired and exhausted

I spent several hours on a DVD project for my older sister. She presented me with 40 MOV files that usually clock in at a crappy 15 fps and MediaCoder converted a lot of those just fine. But then I'd run into a MOV with erroneous data saying that it plays at 60 or 75 fps. What's strange is that these older format MOV files would not play in VLC, and VLC plays almost anything. Well, to be more correct, it played the audio, but the video caused it to crash. MediaCoder IDed the video as a Sorensen type of MOV stream.

So those that correctly came out at 15 fps, I used MediaCoder. Those that didn't, I had Super force the input frame rate at 15 fps to get an AVI which then I had MediaCoder convert again - mainly because I needed files running at 900 kpbs, and the closest Super will let me select is 912. And I needed stuff in which the audio remained in sync with the audio.

In the end, after finding out each set of clips made for 1 longer clip, I took all those converted pieces into VirtualDub and appended them in groups as designated by their file names and according to content that I saw so they'd be in order. If you've worked with VirtualDub, you know how picky it is that all streams you append be all the same - same resolution, same frame rate, same video bit rate, same audio sample rate, same audio channels, and same audio bit rate. Maybe a few other things I don't know about. But if everything agrees, VirtualDub appends it and works with AVIs only. Very handy in its Direct Stream Copy mode. It even fixes AVIs with bad index tables.


And after looking at the converted pieces, I found 1 extra piece that I didn't need. The DVD took almost 4 hours to generate. It doesn't look or sound all that bad on the TV considering the small 320x240 resolution, nor does it sound bad considering the 22050 hz sample rate of the audio.

No comments: