Finally got to 500 posts so far!
At any rate, I had a rough night last night. I went up to go to bed, and I had been dealing with some wetness on the floor upstairs in front of the air conditioner. Tonight I found out where it was coming from. I had used an old LJS work shirt as a means to plug the gap beneath the unit to keep out bugs, but somehow water was finding its way to the shirt, and then the shirt wicked it down to the floor.
So I pull the front off the unit and find out why. It's supposed to drain water away from the cooling coils and drain outside, but some gooey smeary kind of gunk had formed in the water (I had been running it nearly continuously during this past month). So something like wild yeasty snot formed in the thing. Great.
Lacking any handy drain cleaner to drip into the water tray, I tried some distilled vinegar and some enzyme cleaner I use for urine spots. I saw all this crap and wondered just how far inside the air conditioner it went, and I don't know what I was going to accomplish by trying to put my fingers in the air output vent while it was still on, but it's enough to say that getting a small chunk of skin from a fingertip sliced off was enough to make me wake up (I was rather sleepy or about to be asleep at this time) and my back was yelling at me for the prior manipulation of the unit to encourage whatever water was in the thing to drain out in some manner.
After panicking for a few minutes, finding a usable band aid, and dealing with that emergency, I manage to get the vinegar (to work on the plugged up stuff) and the enzyme cleaner (also to work on stuff), and put the unit into a fan only mode for the night.
I woke up uncomfortable, saw the temp was 77 in my room, and checked the unit to see mostly clean cooling coils and such. I now have the unit at a more pronounced angle to make sure water drains out, and plugged up the gap at the bottom again.
It also took me a few hours to deal with my lingering sleep deprived pain and after some ibuprofen and Coke Zero (the caffeine helped), I recovered enough to be functional.
And cut a latex glove finger for my injury.
On other notes, the dialup ISP sent me a letter thanking me for the letter I sent them. I managed to print that before the ink cartridges in the Dell A920 decided they were going to go empty. I had one color cartridge hanging around for this event, but the yellow wasn't working and the magenta was too dark. The black cartridge had been sitting around and when it went in, it prints not a consistent stream of ink but some odd randomized spritz of ink. So I was able to get a refund for the color cartridge, and I ordered another pair off Amazon. I noted the proper Lexmark cartridge numbers for this printer since they're supposed to be the same thing, and at one point I thought Lexmark ink was supposed to be cheaper. Maybe it was the Kodak printers that were supposed to have less expensive ink.
No comments:
Post a Comment