Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Curious case of user accounts

My younger sister was telling me of the problem they were having with
their computer's network connection. They recently added a D-Link router
to their house so they can use streaming of Netflix on their PS3 I
think. Anywho, what it eventually came down to was that they have 2 user
accounts on their XP Desktop. One account works just fine with the
network. The other has problems.

Of course, the problem also lies in the fact that the other user account
was the one my nieces were using to play those online free flash games,
and of course one of them decided it would be handy to download and
install a toolbar for translations. I remember removing that piece of
crap since Google has a Translate feature already.

Who knows what else got installed in there as well. I remember removing
some Pando / Panda media server but after watching some of its network
activity, I decided it should also be removed.

Hopefully scans of the computer will turn up something. It could be just
an easy check of settings. I would recommend creating another user
account and test its network connectivitiy and then perhaps deleting the
one without a working network.

No comments: