Saturday, June 05, 2010

Traded one leak for another?

Due to the incessant rain storms this past week, I was not happy to be
woken up at just before 5 am to hear the sound of a drip inside my room.
What the hell is that? Where the hell is it? What the hell is it
dripping on? The kitchen roof leak just got fixed! Bloody hell. I don't
know if I should tell my sister as she'll just use it as ammunition in
selling the place or some other fucked up decision that screws me over.
I mean, it should be an easy fix, nothing to get bent about.

tonikaku... After much searching with lights turned on and unsteady
standing on my bed, I found the leak. It's also in a spot that if you
remember me spreading down plastic sheeting in the attic above the rooms
on the 2nd floor, it's in a spot the plastic sheeting could never have
reached. It's like right under the edge of the roof but far enough to be
just inside the wall between the windows, and a 2nd spot just over one
window. I'm annoyed, and after looking at it a while, I'm not surprised
where it is. If I consider possible damage the ice dams might have done
this past summer, I figure some good sealant of some kind along the edge
of the roof may very well stop this intrusion of nature.

I was so annoyed a few years ago when the roof was being re-done about
the damage to my possessions that I bought a roll of plastic sheeting at
Lowe's and while I still had the physical ability to do it, crawled up
there and spread it down, stapling it in place. I wrote about it some
time ago. I am sad to say I don't think I'm going to be able to go up
there again to check on what the hell is leaking this time. At least not
without a lot of ibuprofen or a 12 pack of beer consumed rather quickly.

My father for some reason seems to think this rash of storms is caused
by some part of the Gulf of Mexico oil spill and evaporation of stuff
involved with that. I have yet to ask him to consider that 1) it's the
time of year for this kind of weather, and 2) It's not an El Nino year,
either. We're in a La Nina event, so we're going to get the storms this
time.

No comments: