Friday, February 29, 2008

Road Runner Light? Yeah, right.

I realize Road Runner Light is cheap, relatively slow (768Kpbs), but is it supposed to suck? Downloads stop in the middle, and if you're lucky, they MIGHT resume. I waited 40 minutes for the last 600K of Google Earth to download, which it NEVER did. Trying to watch videos on Youtube - the downloads STOP in the middle and DO NOT Resume. I realize it's a shared connection, but jeez, this sucks. It's no better than dialup which does the same damn thing. I know the cable connections in the area aren't the greatest. They really need better signal amplifiers on these lines. The downloads unless they're really short, never finish. They should be somewhat slow, but not stop and then go dormant. It's been a fight all afternoon. We called technical support, but they were of no help. Apparently they don't understand that we're telling them. It starts, it stops, and it's a fight to keep the connection active. It should plod along slowly, I expect that, but not stop. At All. This is unacceptable!!! If you're even lucky, you might get to see an entire video. I wonder why the first thing I grabbed - Firefox 2.0 install - and the small install update for Weatherbug - actually made it through. Heck, Weatherbug downloaded darn fast. The speed test I found showed varying speeds - 20, 200, 40, 200 kbps on different tests.

We're NOT even considering the next highest and more expensive Road Runner if the slowest speed can't even keep up.

No comments: