Sunday, November 18, 2007

A method for my Apex AD1200 to play other region DVDs

Woo!! This is awesome! I don't know how people figure this out, but I
can play DVDs from other regions in my Apex AD 1200. I had to refine the
procedure with an extra step, but I got a friend's Region 2 Dutch
release DVD of A Muppet Family Christmas in all its converted PAL 50 FPS
glory play 3 times on my player and display in NTSC on my TV. (note:
getting this on a DVD from overseas is the only way to see it uncut!)

The steps:

1. Turn on player and load disk. While it's loading the first time,
repeatedly press TITLE on the remote (which makes this a REMOTE HACK
^_^) until the title menu for the disk appears.

2. Eject the disk (most of the remote functions won't work and WRONG
REGION will display, but Eject will be one thing that DOES work) and
reload. This time, press one of the number buttons _other than 0_ on the
remote repeatedly. From my experience, it doesn't hurt to press 2. Do
this and the DVD will play from the top which might be a preview trailer
or whatever. But still, the remote will not function except for a few
buttons, so Eject the disk again!

3. On this 3rd time LOADING the _same_ disk, repeatedly press STEP on
the remote until you see "DVD-VIDEO" displayed. Stop pressing anything
on the remote and wait for the STEP icon to appear in the upper right
corner.

4. When you have the STEP icon, press STOP on the remote repeatedly
until it shows the STOP icon. When you have that, press PLAY and the
disk will play and you have all the functions of your remote, including
turning off subtitles. ^_^


Doesn't require a firmware update or anything! Interesting things for
the Muppet Family Christmas DVD - the songs are not subtitled in Dutch.
The subtitles kept getting turned on from the main title menu, but if
you went into the chapter menu and played the disk and turned off subs,
they do not get turned back on when returning to that menu. There were 4
trailers on the Trailers menu. One was for a Dutch movie called
Chameleon 2, one was in English with subtitles for Kelsey Grammer in a
movie musical version of A Christmas Carol, one was for some live action
and CG movie called Fungus de Bullebak with Martin Clunes (I presume it
was dubbed in Dutch), and the 4th trailer was for the Muppet Family
Christmas itself.

What I find most interesting is the video is the 50 frames per seond PAL
standard, so while this was shot on video, it doesn't have the "crisp"
look of NTSC 60 fps video we get. AND - I don't know if it's because of
the way I have to bring up the DVD, but I have yet to see a do not copy
warning screen like all our Region 1 disks get. Do DVDs released in the
Nederlands get warning screens?

What's also interesting is that while this is a 1987 release by Henson
Studios, someone put their website URL on at the end!

One thing I had heard early on about DVDs is that the actual digital
video data the disks contain would play on any DVD in the world
regardless of the player's video format output. Playing a PAL DVD on my
NTSC Apex player proved this to be true. It's this seemingly restrictive
region coding that tells the player how to handle the data. I'm itching
to try a SECAM DVD. But oh man, I would LOVE to try a Region 2 DVD of
Disney's "Song of the South!"

No comments: