Sunday, January 11, 2026

Saurkraut Rice Maki Rolls

So after eating your New Years' saurkraut & ham, you're left with water from the crockpot. What do you do? Dump it out? Hell, no! You find out how much water you got & cook rice in it!

I noticed I had almost 2 cups of saurkraut crockpot water left from cooking it, and there was flavor needing enjoyed. 1 cup of rice would be perfect. But what to do afterwards? I had some nori sheets hanging around so I made maki rolls! These really are meant to be eaten cold. Hopefully next time I get the idea to make some, I can wait patiently with these in the fridge much like breakfast pizza. I had enough rice to make 4 maki rolls. I managed to not eat 2 until later & that's when they held firm & cut easily.

The flavor was amazing. With my sister's hand crafted kraut according to the Algonquin Mill recipe & a small 1 pound brown sugar cured sliced ham - after 12 hours on low in the crock pot - produced something divine. I didn't even make any mashed potatoes... A bit salty as expected, slightly diluted by the water I had to add to give me 2 cups of fluid. I didn't stick to my rice pan nor did it burn. One thing I will not do next time is add any rice vinegar. This really didn't need any.

 

No comments: