During 1975 and ending in 1976, Proctor & Gamble worked a promotion with the Disney Company to offer a "free" Disney Magazine when you bought various P&G cleaning or soap products from month to month. Now, likely starting in May1975 but certainly ending in November / December 1976, only 9 different issues were published. Some issues from 1975 showed up again in 1976 with a different purchase requirement for the free issue.
After some extensive searching online, I have been able to come up with this list:
Disney Magazines
1975 - May - with Bob Hope - free with Downy same as September 1976 - free with Comet
1975 - June - with Debbie Reynolds - free with Comet same as October 1976 - free with Mr. Clean or Camay
1975 - July - with Anthony Quinn - free with Spic & Span / Camay <- hard to find
1975 - August - with Lucille Ball - free with Mr. Clean / Safeguard same as March 1976 - free with Biz / Zest
1975 - September - with Jan Michael Vincent - free with Top Job / Zest <-hard to find
1976 - January - with Rock Hudson - free with Ivory / Top Job
1976 - February - with John Wayne - free with Spic & Span / Safeguard
1976 - April - with Peter Ustinov - free with Bounce
1976 - Nov / Dec - with Groucho Marx - free with Downy-hard>->
Some of these issues aren't repeated. Of these 9, only 7 are easily found online on various auction sites. So what about October to December 1975 and May to August 1976? So far, no information has been found. It could be those months never had a printed issue. The double month issue at the end of 1976 is usually a sign it was to be the last one.
Why do I even bring up this topic? Somehow one grandmother ended up with the January 1976 issue where they talk about one member of the 1970s edition of the Mickey Mouse Club. Somehow I managed to keep this magazine throughout the years, even though it got stained from something at one point. I've kept it in a plastic magazine sleeve along with a March 1977 issue of Scholastic News Explorer, also mentioning the 1970s MMC on the cover. (Though the story The Peanut Butter Surprise claims it has 20 misspelled words of which I can find only 18.) And to round it off, a reply letter from WUAB TV in Clevenand when I wrote in to complain they cancelled the show.
Maybe I'll get a few more issues. I've always been curious as to what the February 1976 issue would have. Maybe I'll replace my stained copy of January 1976. And maybe someone will confirm if there were more than 9 issues printed with photos to prove it.
No comments:
Post a Comment