Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Clubhouses

As a kid, I sometimes wondered about wanting to have a clubhouse. Something in the back yard that was a place I could go and just do clubhouse type things. Of course, that never worked out, but still. 

I mean, isn't that what some kids back in the 1970s wanted? A place you could go when your mom wanted you out of the house (and out of her way), and you didn't really want to go do anything. Depending on the size and what was in there, you could go in there with a few best friends, play games or something. Study or talk about anything. Hide. A place you could go and keep people out just because you wanted to that day. Hopefully keep out of trouble.

I remember seeing that sort of thing on TV and thought wow. A Clubhouse. nothing like a Treehouse, though I'm sure I probably wanted to make one of those, too but never did. It seemed like the greatest thing a kid could ask for and get. A club house to clubhousey stuff.

Of course, what would happen with me is that I would get one and not know what to do with it. "I got one! Now what?" I imagine myself saying. I could end up being (eventually) sitting around with nothing, doing nothing. Never mind that IMAGINATION stuff. Maybe 1 friend who wanted to hang out in there. (Too cold in the winter, mind you.) Spiders to watch out for. It would be fun during summer vacation from school. Maybe. With my luck, I'd go there to read a book and mom would go crazy not being able to find me, call the police and they end up finding me in there.

And it would be fine and dandy until the one kid in the neighborhood who was spoiled beyond belief would somehow end up with his father's cigarette lighter and burn that sucker down because HE wasn't the first one in the area to get a clubhouse.

It's always something.

No comments: