Monday, March 26, 2012

Verb Noun Agreement

What is with people recently in that they can't get the verb-noun agreement correct anymore? What sort of thing am I talking about?

OK, the thing that annoys me is when people write the name of a company, or a plural but singular noun, and then use the wrong number verb with it.

For example, I saw in the paper the phrase "The media get blamed...." GET, not GETS, but the incorrect GET. The MEDIA GETS BLAMED. Blamed for what? That's not important here. MEDIA is a singular plural, therefore it gets the singular verb. If you can replace your noun with "IT" and then read the sentence, does it sound awkward? It does. and if you can't see that, then I need to boot you in the head.

Another example - using a company name with a plural verb. "Company XYZ have licensed..." Umm, how about wrong? The company is a singular entity. IT HAS LICENSED,  THEY HAVE LICENSED, but we're not talking about a bunch of people, we're talking about 1 singular company. And it HAS licensed. Company XYZ HAS licensed. Corporations are taxed as a singular entity, and are singular nouns. Just because there's a bunch of people working there doesn't mean the company name is a plural entity.

I have you have it has - Singular
We have you have they have. - Plural
 
Get it? A company has licensed, it has licensed. They have licensed. The people behind the company have licensed. "People" is a plural noun and plural in every way. "Person" is a singular noun. People have,  a Person has. Try the replacement, which sounds correct? It have, or it has? You see what I mean, Vern?

The media gets blamed, they get blamed, it gets blamed.

IN SHORT: STOP USING PLURAL VERBS FOR SINGULAR NOUNS SUCH AS COMPANY NAMES OR PLURAL NOUNS THAT ARE SINGULAR IN NATURE.

 

No comments: