Monday, September 11, 2006

Someone keeps putting up incorrect info...


On Wikipedia, I have been diligently trying to keep people updated on
how to say Tamagotchi correctly. Here's the edit I put up, which was
changed since the last time I corrected it:

Name origin and pronunciation

The name combines the Japanese word for egg ("tamago") and the syllable
"chi" which denotes affection, so it could be taken to mean "loveable
egg". It is also a pun on both "wotchi" borrowed from English "watch",
as in the time piece) and "tomodachi" (Japanese for friend). Because
"tamago" is Japanese for egg, and "tomodachi" is Japanese for friend,
Tamagotchi could be taken to mean "egg-friend."

In Japanese, it is pronounced with a long "o" sound ta-ma-goh-chee. The
romanization of the name from the Japanese phonetics using the generally
accepted method of doubling the consonant sound of the final syllable
("chi") produces the "tchi" spelling. The "T" in this case is not to be
associated with the preceding long "o" and resulting in an incorrect
pronunciation. Alternatively, the name could have been romanized as
"tamago-chi" which preserves the correct Japanese pronunciation in
non-Japanese text.

No comments: