Thursday, July 07, 2005

Something of a revelation


After reading over the text of stupid customers that I had saved, I
realize something but only after having some exposure to Gordon Ramsay
and his Kitchen Nightmares, Boiling Point, and Beyond Boiling Point, as
well as the current Fox series Hell's Kitchen - I should have had
complete free reign and control of how I wanted to deal with stupid
customers when I worked at the restaurant. When that one stupid woman
complained of "cold fries" when the dish had just been dished up from
product that was still under the hold timer, I should have been given
the right without retaliation, much like Gordon Ramsay, to go right up
to her and ask what the problem is.

"What's the problem?"

"The fries are cold."

"Oh really? Let's have a look at one then."

Pick up a fry, break it open (crisp fries should snap open), and have
hot steam come out of the broken ends.

"That certainly looks like a hot french fry. I can grab some of the cold
ones out of the freezer if you need something to compare these to.
Satisfied now?"

Oh man, the things I wanted to do. Gordon Ramsay is like an idol in
regard to how chefs should be. Perfectionist, demanding of respect, and
willing to fight for the quality and reputation of the food they create.

Damn straight.

No comments: