Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Stuff


Well, I've had a cold for the past week or so, and I've used my usual
remedies to get rid of it. I make a nice bowl of onion and garlic soup
then go to bed. But for some reason, recent colds and I've had 3 since
we moved out to my grandfather's house after Citicorp forclosed on my
mom's house (they could have suspended it... I'm still mad about that).
These recent colds have been nasty. Copious amounts of sinus fluids,
stuffed up noses that are filled to capacity. Sometimes the
pseudophedrine doesn't always work, but the onion soup usually makes a
big difference. Gotta get some pineapple juice or something.

Except the cold didn't start out as a cold. I woke up several mornings
with a bit of dry scratchy throat, and I had some throat spray for that.
It's the persistent stuffed up nose that really bugs me, and the sinus
drip coughing. I should shake it off completely soon, as I usually do.
Sometimes the coughing is so persistent I'll wake up with pain in my
stomach, the muscles being so sore... at least with previous colds,
anyway. I think I keep catching things from my nieces, and then they
don't know enough to not trade their germs. But I've started with my
oldest niece, and told her some time ago when any of them are sick to
not use each other's cups.

Was going to get a boneless pork shoulder roast yesterday for mom's
crockpot recipe she wanted to try, but just as I got off work and was
driving to Walmart to get it, I noticed the cheap ass zipper on my pants
had split open (again)... So I tried to reclose it like I've done so
many times since wearing that pair, and... it breaks. (expletives
deleted) I ended up driving home... I'll replace that zipper because
those are a good pair of pants. I replaced the zipper in my jacket, so
this should be easy.

My grandfather passed away June 24th... And you know, not even in death
can one escape spam. We received this odd letter from "Valerie Scott."
Apparently, this person took it upon themselves to read my grandfather's
death notice in the paper (his services were PRIVATE), then hunted down
my mom's mailing address (old info since we don't live there for now),
then proceeded with this letter:

(it's a handwritten note in pen, btw)

Postmark date on the envelope is July 13.

"In the newspaper today..."

Today? Delayed reading of the paper?

"I read about a funeral service for your father, Walter...."

The letter was addressed to my mom, but, Yeah, so what?

"When I lost my grandfather, and others who were close to me,"

Don't even try to compare the two situations...

"I found much comfort from..."

Guess what she said next, and the first 2 don't count.

Anywho, the rest of the letter went on about stuff I won't mention. I
mean, the services were PRIVATE for a reason, and so shall our dealing
with my grandfather's death. And this ... this person comes along and
just sends this. I checked the mailing address, and it's of a Jehovah's
Witnesses building on Route 30. This was the same group that got kicked
out of East Rochester. Now someone from this group has the nerve to
interject some religious stuff we didn't ask for. Now, I can get along
with people who are JWs as long as they don't try to "force" their
beliefs on me. I know some Canadians who are JWs and they're some of the
coolest anime fans I know. I appreciate their keeping most of their
religious beliefs to themselves. But when someone comes along and does
this, seeming to think we "needed" it in some time of despair, is
nothing more than a slap to the face. I take offense at something like
this.

I'd like to respond to it. Perhaps by sending them an issue of Kaitou
Saint Tail and a note saying "You should read other books" or some such.

Oh the name "Valerie Scott"? I couldn't turn up anything in assocation
with the mailing address or my locality. Either she doesn't exist or has
an unlisted number. ^_-

No comments: